Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Analytical View on Kiddy Shows

Yesterday, the boyfriend and I watched Blue's Clues on Netflix. It's kind of one of our things to find random/bizarre/funny/kiddy shows or movies, curl up on the couch, and watch/make fun of them. We decided on Blue's Clues because we both watched it as kids (and because no good "grown-up" shows were on..). As we watched the show, I noticed a stark difference in my viewing experience now compared to when I was a kid (and I'm not talking about the fact that I'm no longer drinking out of a sippy cup, among other things).
What I mean to say is when I was a wee little tot, I'd just watch the show and enjoy the overall visual experience. Now, when I watch these shows, I pay too much attention to detail. Questions fill my mind like, "Is Steve's house a hallway since he can only go left and right?" "Who are the kids that respond to his questions? Are they just voices in his head?" "Why doesn't he teach Blue to write so she can write out what she's trying to tell him and save us all a bunch of time?" "How does the camera crew keep from laughing histerically while watching him prance around and talk to imaginary characters?"
Of course, these shows aren't made for big kids who scrutinize over details. Still, I have the utmost respect for the writers of kiddy shows. I, for one, would not be able to write a script for a show that didn't answer questions of logic. It takes a special kind of person to be able to over look the fact that a 30 something year old man is living on his own, save for a few animated house mates.

Dropped quote from watching Blue's Clues:
"Steve" - You know what we need now! Our handy, dandy...
Boyfriend - iPad!

Another analytical view on catoons:
Smoosh's "If Cartoons Were Real"


Remember that Write or Die thing I mentioned in my last post? I tried it out and failed miserably. 190 words in 12 minutes?? Pshh. I'm sure you can do better than I did. Plus, you get a nifty badge to tell you how well you did. Lemme know how you do!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Bahahaha Blue's Clues. Maybe Steve has schizophrenia. It could happen lol and I'm blaming it all on the AP English that mrs.armstrong shoved down our throats lol

Jesse Childe said...

I watched that for about five minutes lol. Actually I've started watching Spongebob again thanks to my little sister...and enjoying it! Because it's stoner humor! Not that I'm a stoner, I just appreciate the culture lol