Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Digress to Progress

"You may be right.
I may be crazy,
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for."

Good song. Fun lyrics :]


     Writing a post is the last thing I should be doing now, but I definitely don't feel like reading the play I have a quiz on in and hour and a half or study for the math test I have tonight. Digress to progress, that's what I always say.
     That's a lie. I've never said that. But I should. Sometimes rearranging your priorities is okay and lets you enjoy life.
     So apparently I've been in the right place at the right time this week as far as informative publications go. First off, I wrote an argumentative paper for English about smoking on campus, and after tweaking it a bit, I submitted it to the student-led school newspaper. They published it in the opinion column this morning :] Oh happy day. If you are super bored and want to read it, go here.
     Then, on Monday, while waiting for some people to show up for a volunteering opportunity (I was to meet them at the student center, and we were going to go to a local elementary school), a distracted driver simulation was being held where I was waiting. I had a few minutes to kill, so I decided to check it out.
The director of the simulation asked me to step into the car that was hooked up to some fancy computer program. I put on a pair of goggles that allowed me to see the virtual driving course. Then I was asked to try to send a text message while "driving" through the program. Thing is, the goggles would not stay on properly, and what I could see through them was blurry and made me feel as though I was cross-eyed.
     When I finished the simulation (after running myself off a cliff out of frustration), I went to see my results, and made a remark like, "That was interesting, but I don't usually drive cross-eyed."
     A girl next to me asked, "So you don't think it was a very accurate study?" I said that, yes, I didn't think it was accurate since the steering was over-sensitive and the goggles made the course blurry. She asked if she could quote me for an article she is writing for the student newspaper. I agreed, and she asked me if I learned anything through the simulation. I said that it taught me not to let go of the steering wheel out of frustration or you'll run yourself off a cliff.
     Yesterday, my teacher-turned-friend-who-is-now-an-author called me about an article she is writing for Teen Vogue, and she wanted to conduct an interview we had previously talked about. I can't wait to read the article! I shared some super personal stuff, but I don't feel the need to keep that stuff in an attic anymore.

Interesting week.

And my weekend is gonna be way fun. Going to the beach with TJ and his family! I can't begin to describe how much I'm craving a day at the beach right now.

That's all, folks.
What's going on with you guys?

DB

3 comments:

The Sneezeweed said...

"digress to progress" reminds me of my college mantra that a friend shared with me:

it'll get done.

and it usually does. :)

Anonymous said...

Yess!! I love Billy Joel! hahaha!

Lauren said...

That's really cool! Let me know how that article goes and I'd love to read it also :D I wish I'd get interviewed for something cool like that haha
Have fun at the beach! ^.^