Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Social Net-dork

Okay, where are all of you people coming from?!
I will update my blog, get a comment or two, and then a few days later I’ll see that I have had an increase in “followers.” So odd... But don’t get me wrong! I love thinking that people are actually reading my rants. It boosts my social networking ego. With all of the ego-points I lose on Facebook, the points I gain on here balance everything out.

And this is the point in the blog post where I realize that everything up to this point sounded absolutely ridiculous. Social networking, in essence, is ridiculous, and maybe, just maybe, I need to get a life.

Actually, I do have a life. And a pretty great one at that. Granted, things haven’t been exactly peachy lately since I’ve had to switch anxiety meds (which, if you know anything about being on them, you know that switching medicines makes your body and mind feel like it is in a constant state of being hit by a Mack truck. More or less.) Also, I’ve had personal things to sort through lately concerning family and school, but that’s to be expected. Since I’ve switched meds (because the first clearly wasn’t working), my skin picking has gotten a little worse, or maybe I’ve just become less willing to combat it, but hopefully the new medicine will kick in and curb some of the urges to pick. I really want my legs to heal soon so that I can wear shorts and cute dresses again and not feel self-conscious. It’s very discouraging to have to wear jeans on a gorgeous day because you had a terrible picking episode the night before and don’t want anyone to ask about it.

Anyway, on to some happy things. I’ve been volunteering for a couple of hours each week in an ESL class. I LOVE IT. I’ve met some of the coolest people from Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Cuba, etc. This past week I got to help a woman from Brazil practice her conversational skills during class since she will only be here for a few more days and wants to practice with English speakers. Since she will only be in Tuscaloosa for a little while, we have planned to meet up out of class to practice English more. I’m ecstatic. I don’t know what it is about teaching people, whether it’s Spanish or English, but it gives me a sense of purpose. And the people I’ve met so far are so willing to learn and ardently practicing that it motivates me to learn about their home countries and cultures. Awesome stuff.
Now, I shall leave you with some entertainment that I hope brightens your day a bit as they have brightened mine.


-         This chipmunk is freakin’ adorable. Why? Because he’s in slow-motion. As if it wasn’t cute enough to watch them clean themselves in real-time…
-   Check out RightBrainTerrain.com. Terral's designs are on FI-YAH.
    Some of his designs:




Okay, enjoy, go crazy, have fun. Leave me lovely comments of delicious magnificence.

Love,

Dani

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Those prints are lovely! I especially like the top left one.

Samuel said...

Those prints are sweet. :D